Saturday 25 October 2008

A distinct lack of umming.

Good news! I did my first prepared speech in POPPS (Psychology Oral Presentation Practice Sessions) on Thursday and it went a lot better than expected. The way POPPS works is you have to do both prepared and impromptu speeches, and someone times you and someone else counts how many times you 'um' and 'er'. My speech was called an icebreaker, it's something that all first years must do and is basically just introducing yourself. Although it was obvious to everyone that I was very nervous and my voice wobbled a little I'm pleased with how I did as I managed to speak for 3 and a half minutes, and only ummed 3 times (less umms than anyone in the class, even the second years!) So yes Paul our POPPS mentor said it was clear I was nervous but I had no reason to be as I did very well, and Josie, one of the second years also commented that it was a hell of a lot better than her first speech was. So all in all a success.

I have just got back from a busy day at Alton Towers. My alarm first went off at 5.45this morning, and thank god I set three of them as I snoozed through the first two unaware that I was actually meant to be going somewhere today! The weather was pretty lousy, and the queues were longer than they were when I went in the Summer, but I still had a great time and went on lots of rides. I also got chased something that looked an awful lot like a nightmarish version of Mr Tumnus and terrified by a giant duck on the rapids as it is scarefest at Alton Towers because it's nearly Halloween.

Mummy is arriving tomorrow and I'm very excited as I haven't seen her for 5 weeks now! The longest we've ever been apart I think. =( The weather will probably be terrible but I'm sure we'll have fun anyway, and I'm very muchly looking forward to having a bath in the travelodge as I really miss them, I think Mum's even bringing bubbles!

No comments: